Friday, July 20, 2007

Over The Top

Paintballing brought out a different side to me. We were taking heavy fire on the right flank. The enemy village was within sight, we were running low on ammo and I had thrown my last smoke grenade to provide us with as much cover as possible. The barrels we crouched behind pinged contantly as a hail of paintballs rained down upon us.

LM: "Lets do it, lets go over"
HP: "Are you crazy?!!!...!"
LM: "We can take the village"
HP: "You will kill us both and for what? For honour?"
I grabbed his overalls around his shoulder and pulled him close
LM: "For death and glory!"

We charged forward.
War war is stupid
And people are stupid
And love means nothing
In some strange quarters

It took me a while to figure that out. The penny dropped soon after I was shot in the face. I thought I was PJ and Duncan all over again.