Saturday, August 18, 2007

Its A Piece Of Cake

The Preston Food and Wine Appreciation Society met again last night and on the agenda this week was "how to seal a bottle, cork or screw top?". Given my recent trip to Portugal, home of the finest cork makers on the planet I made a strong case for corks. Any opposition was swiftly dismissed as heresy and the discussion was won. But later that night...

Myself and the Playwright had a joke face off during which I was giving him a run for his money with classics such as "I have a nut allergy, when I was at school the kids used to feed me revels as a form of Russian roulette" and "A man orders a pizza, he is asked if he wants it cut into six pieces or eight and he says 'make it six, I couldn't eat eight' " but for every doctor joke, the playwright had a dentist joke. For every knock knock he had a husband and wife.

As I was close to defeat Tim, who was shouting his support for me in my corner in between shoving smelling salts under my nose and pouring water over my head, threw in a few 'Man walks into a bar' but the Playwright was in his element and was too powerful for us. He landed a "its easy to distract fat people, its a piece of cake" square on the chin and I was out for the count. I think I had one last "two cannibals are eating a clown and one says to the other, 'does this taste funny to you' " in me but, like the Ali's and the Tyson's of the joke telling world, the Playwright had shown is pedigree and still had plenty in the tank.

Tim threw in the napkin.